Pulled Pork & Apple Doughnut
For the pulled pork:
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2kg boneless pork shoulder
- 600ml pale ale
For the apple sauce:
- 3 granny smith apples
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 8-10 glazed ring doughnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
2. Blitz the smoked paprika, light brown sugar, salt, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, chilli flakes, fennel seeds and garlic powder in a spice grinder.
3. Rub the spice mix all over a boneless joint of pork shoulder.
4. Plonk it into a large ovenproof saucepan and tip over the pale ale.
5. Add a lid and whack the whole pan into the oven for 4-5 hours, until it can be cut into with a spoon.
6. While the pork cooks, core the apples and roughly dice them.
7. Chuck the apples into a large mixing bowl along with the sugar and vinegar.
8. Cover with Cling Film and microwave on full power for 5-6 minutes, until the apples soften.
9. Mash the cooked apple and set aside for later.
10. Once the pork has cooked, pull into strands with 2 forks and mix it through any residual sauce in the bottom of the pan.
11. Cut the glazed ring doughnuts in half and load in the pulled pork and apple sauce. Serve with plenty of napkins and a health warning.
Sign up to the newsletter to download this recipe and more delicious cooks!
No matter how many elaborate, healthy meals we make, there will always be a place in our hearts for a good comfort dish - and the past year or so has certainly proved that. Whether it’s fish pie or a cheese toastie, a quick, simple, nostalgic meal will rarely let you...
(Serves 2) Ingredients For the tofu meatballs: 280g extra firm tofu 2 tbsp dark soy sauce 2 tbsp nutritional yeast 1 large egg 100g panko breadcrumbs For the sauce: ½ brown onion 2 tbsp olive oil 1 cloves garlic 1 tbsp tomato puree 200g tinned chopped tomatoes ½ tbsp...
(Serves 2) Ingredients For the bulgogi steak: 1 ribeye steak 1 green bell pepper 1 brown onion, peeled 4 tbsp light soy sauce 1 tbsp gochujang paste 3 cloves garlic (grated) 10g ginger (grated) 1 tbsp sesame oil 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tbsp light brown sugar For the...
(Serves 4) Ingredients For the sauce: 2 tbsp olive oil 6 tinned anchovies 3 cloves garlic 2 tbsp tomato paste 1 tsp sugar For the noodles: 600g udon noodles To finish the sauce: ¼ bunch fresh parsley 50g kalamata olives (pitted) To serve: 20g Parmesan cheese ...
(Serves 4) Ingredients For the batter: 200g chickpea flour 1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted For the curry ketchup: 4 tbsp tomato ketchup 1 tbsp curry powder 1 tbsp mango chutney To fry: 460g paneer 50g chickpea flour 2l vegetable oil To serve: 4 tbsp yoghurt ¼ bunch mint...
(Serves 2) Ingredients For the French toast muffins: 2 large eggs 1 tbsp dark soy sauce 1 tbsp sesame oil 2 English muffins For the sausage patty: 4 pork sausages 1 tbsp red Thai curry paste 2 tbsp flour 1 tbsp vegetable oil 2 slices American cheese For the crispy...
SORTEDfood was started back in 2010 by a group of school mates messing around on YouTube. We are now one of the world’s leading online food communities - and we’re still messing around on YouTube! We’re also branching out with a shiny new TikTok where you’ll find the...
(Serves 3-4) Ingredients For the ribs: 4 corn cobs For the sauce: 100g feta 25g unsalted butter 5 tbsp hot sauce To fry: 2l vegetable oil To serve: 1 tbsp sesame seeds 2 spring onions (thinly sliced) Method 1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F) and a deep fat...
This week we had the honour of inviting in our good friend and the man behind the incredible Hoppers restaurant, Karan Gokani, to come in and show our normals how to do a proper curry. And he's kindly shared the recipe for the kothu roti he made in the video! Find...
We’ve spent many many months and several videos debating the age-old question: where is it best to spend your money when it comes to food? Our normal home cooks have been busy blind taste testing the premium and the budget version of some of the most common...