Poached Eggs with Roast Potato Salad
- 500 g / 17.6 oz new potatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 150 g / 5.3 oz sour cream
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lemon
- 1 green bell pepper
- 30 g / 1.1 oz parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 100 g / 3.5 oz frozen peas
Step by Step
Roast your potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 220oC or 428oF. Cut the potatoes into 2cm cubes and tip them onto a baking tray, toss them through the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the potatoes for 25 minutes, until dark and crisp on the outside.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and put it over a high heat. Add a lid and bring it to the boil.
Make the potato salad dressing
- Spoon the mustard, sour cream and mayo into a mixing bowl. Finely zest in half of the lemon and add with half of the juice, then stir everything together.
- On the same chopping board as before de-seed and dice the pepper, finely chop the parsley, and peel and mince the garlic. Plonk everything into the mayo dressing and give it a mix.
Poach your eggs
- Turn the saucepan water down to a simmer and add the vinegar. Tip the peas into a sieve and submerge them in the water. Cook for 2 minutes then tip the peas into the mixing bowl.
- Crack the eggs into the water quickly, cook for 4 minutes then drain on kitchen paper. You're done with the chopping board, knife and sieve so you can wash them up while you wait if you want to.
- When the potatoes are done, drain and lightly crush some into the mixing bowl. If you're still waiting for them though, now would be a good time to wash up the pan and equipment you used for poaching.
- Divide the potatoes between your plates and place 2 eggs per portion on top. Season with a little extra salt and pepper.