Pasta Aglio e Olio with Green Veg (V)
meat and fish
- 1 Lemon (spaghetti, penne or other)
- 125 g / 4.375 oz asparagus
- 50 ml / 1.75fl oz olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 g / 0.35 oz parsley
- 100 g / 3.5 oz spinach
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
Step by Step
Cook the pasta
- Bring a large saucepan of water with a lid to the boil and season well with salt. Add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions, or until it’s just cooked through but still has a little bite.
Fry the Veg
- Trim off the ends of the asparagus (they're a bit tough). Peel and thinly slice the garlic and slice the asparagus into 2cm lengths. While the pasta cooks put a frying pan over a medium heat and pour in the oil. Add the asparagus and garlic to the pan and fry gently until it starts to turn golden brown.
Finish the pasta
- Using the same chopping board but with a chef's knife, finely chop your parsley and shred the spinach. Drain the pasta and asparagus and save the water you cooked it in. Tip the pasta into the frying pan with the oil and garlic. Zest in the lemon then add the parsley and spinach with a good squeeze of lemon.
- Throw in as many chilli flakes as you like, add 2-3 tbsp of the reserved pasta water then toss so that the pasta gets coated in everything. Season everything one last time with salt and pepper and serve.