Roasted Parsnip Tacos
- 30 g / 1.1 oz mayonnaise
- 60 g / 2.1 oz natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 large parsnips
- 500 g / 17.6 oz plum tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 little gem lettuces
- 4 large flour tortillas
Step by Step
Cook your veg
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, make the white sauce by stirring together your mayonnaise, yoghurt, mustard, and oregano then season to taste with salt and pepper. It may be necessary to add a small splash of water - you want it to be the consistency of double cream.
- Peel your parsnips. Quarter them lengthwise and carefully cut out the core using a small knife. Cut the lengths crosswise into 3 or 4 pieces, tip them onto a lined baking tray and toss with about a quarter of your white sauce.
- Pop your parsnips into the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until completely tender with a little charring on the outside.
Make your salsa
- Carefully quarter your tomatoes and scoop out the seeds with a spoon - they're not needed in this recipe but don't discard them! Freeze them and chuck them in your next tomato sauce. Chop the flesh into a small dice and chuck it into a separate mixing bowl.
- Toss in your chilli flakes, finely grate in the zest of your lime and squeeze in about half the juice then give it a good mix and season to taste with salt and pepper. Save the rest of the juice for squeezing over your finished tacos.
- Cut the root off the lettuce and finely shred it.
- Now is a good time to wash up your peeler and chopping board while you wait for your parsnips to finish cooking.
Finish your tacos
- Warm your tortilla wraps in a microwave or dry frying pan if you wish, then pile them high with the parsnip, salsa, white sauce and a good squeeze of the remaining lime. Serve up!