Butterbean, Spinach and Apricot Cassoulet (V)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 400 g / 14.1 oz tinned butter beans
- 1/2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 60 g / 2.1 oz prunes
- 205 g / 7.2 oz tinned apricot halves
- 150 g / 5.3 oz sugar snap peas
- 200 g / 7.1 oz spinach
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 30 g / 1.1 oz almond flakes
- 400 ml / 13.5 floz water
Step by Step
Fry off your veg
- Preheat a large saucepan over high heat.
- Peel and slice your onion and garlic, then add the oil into the hot pan along with your veg and fry for around 5 minutes, or until they are translucent and softened.
Simmer your stew
- Use a small knife to carefully remove the stones in the prunes, by slicing around them lengthways and digging them out with your hands.
- Drain and rinse your butterbeans in a sieve, then add them to the pan along with the flour. Crumble in your stock cube and give it a good stir for a minute to cook out the flour. Pour in the amount of water listed in the ingredients into the pan little by little, then give it a good stir, before chucking in your prepared prunes.
- Bring your stew up to a boil then turn the heat down to a simmer and continue to cook for 10 minutes with the lid on.
Finish your stew
- Drain the apricots of their liquid, then add them into the pan along with your sugar snap peas and spinach. Put the lid back on and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, or until the spinach wilts and the apricots are warmed through.
- Take the stew off the heat and stir through your yoghurt, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and placing it into your serving dishes.
- Scatter over your almonds and serve!