Sweetcorn Fritters with Avocado Salad
- 250 g / 8.8 oz white potatoes
- 20 g parsley
- 200 g / 7.1 oz tinned sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 lemon
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 medium red onion
- 60 g / 2.1 oz rocket
- 50 g / 1.8 oz plain flour
- 1 large egg
- 50 g / 1.8 oz panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Step by Step
Cook the potatoes
- Chill a mixing bowl in the freezer so that you can quickly cool the fritter mix later.
- Cut your potatoes into quarters and weigh them out to the correct amount - this is important because the ratio will ensure your fritters hold together. Throw them in a microwave-safe bowl and cover it with Cling Film.
- Microwave the potatoes for 7 minutes, or until they are soft.
Start the fritter mix
- While the potatoes cook, grab your parsley and finely chop it. Throw half of it into the chilled mixing bowl with the sweetcorn and capers.
- Grate in the lemon zest, squeeze in half the juice and return the bowl to the freezer to keep everything cold.
Make the Salad
- De-stone the avocado and scoop out the flesh. Dice it into 1cm cubes then peel and dice your onion.
- Throw them into a mixing bowl with the rocket and remaining chopped parsley, squeeze over the remaining lemon juice and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad together and divide it between your plates.
Make the fritter patties
- Remove the Cling Film from the now cooked potatoes and allow them to cool enough to handle. Scrape off the skin with a spoon and then chuck them into the chilled bowl. Roughly mash them in the bowl giving it a good mix and season well with salt and pepper.
- It may look like there's not enough potato to hold everyting together but if you keep working it, then it will eventually come together.
- Form the mix into 6 even, round patties. Place on a baking tray and chill in the freezer for 5 minutes so that they firm up.
- Use the time while your mixture is chilling to clean the pan you used to cook the potatoes.
Coat the fritters
- Grab 3 mixing bowls. Tip the flour into a bowl, tip the breadcrumbs into another bowl and beat the eggs in a third bowl. Season all of them with a little salt and pepper.
- Grab the sweetcorn patties and coat them in the flour, then the eggs and finally toss in the breadcrumb mixture to get an even coating.
Fry the fritters and serve
- Put a frying pan over a high heat and pour the oil. Preheat for a minute then add the patties and fry for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown on one side. Carefully flip them and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve 3 per portion alongside the avocado salad.