Baked Tandoori Salmon with Cucumber Salad and Nutty Rice
meat and fish
- 2 salmon fillets
- 200 g / 7.1 oz natural yoghurt
- 10 g / 0.4 oz ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 120 g / 4.2 oz basmati rice
- 50 g / 1.8 oz sultanas
- 50 g / 1.8 oz almond flakes toasted
- 1 cucumber
- 500 g / 17.6 oz plum tomatoes
Step by Step
Bake your salmon
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (430°F).Put a medium saucepan of water over a high heat - this will be for your rice later.Place your salmon fillets on to a lined baking tray.Tip 3/4 of your yoghurt into a small mixing bowl then peel and finely grate in your ginger and garlic. Zest in the lemon then add in the smoked paprika, curry powder and tomato puree. Give it a stir to combine it all.Rub the salmon fillets all over with the yoghurty mix, then pop them in the oven for 10-20 minutes, or until the outside is charred and the salmon begins to flake easily. The time here will depend mainly on your oven and how your salmon fillet is cut - test it by trying to flake it with a fork, if it comes apart easily then it's done!
Boil your rice
- When your pot of water is boiling, season it well with salt and tip in your rice and sultanas. Boil it for 10 minutes, then drain it off. After it has been thoroughly drained, chuck it back into the dry pan off the heat and stir in your almond flakes, saving a few for garnish.While you wait for your rice and salmon to cook, you can get on with the other steps.
Make your salad
- Use a peeler to make long ribbons out of the cucumber, stopping just before you get to the seedy center - these wont be used in this recipe but they're perfect for smoothies, juices or just to put in water when you drink. Dont chuck them, food waste is real!Halve your tomatoes and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds - again, they're not needed anywhere else but freeze and chuck them in your next tomato sauce! Chop your tomatoes into 1cm strips and plonk both the tomatoes and cucumber into a large mixing bowl.Squeeze in the juice of the lemon and season it all with salt and pepper.
Finish your dish
- Divide your rice between your plates and place the salmon on top. Dollop the remaining yoghurt onto the plate and grab a handful of your salad to go alongside!