Easy Mediterranean Mezze with Baba Ganoush
- 1 aubergine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 20 g / 0.7 oz rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 courgette
- 100 g / 3.5 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 ciabatta
- 20 g / 0.7 oz tarragon
- 150 g / 5.3 oz crème fraîche
- 1/2 lemon
- 40 g / 1.4 oz watercress
Step by Step
Roast your aubergine
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (430°F).
- C the top and tail off your aubergine then slice it in quarters lengthways and season it well with salt and pepper. Drizzle over about half of the oil and stab the flesh with half of your rosemary sprigs.
- Wrap your aubergine tightly in tin foil along with your whole, unpeeled garlic cloves and pop it on a baking tray and into your oven for 25 minutes, or until the flesh is completely soft.
Roast your veggies
- Chop the tips off your courgette then slice into 2cm thick slices lengthways. Cut your cherry tomatoes in half. Slice your peppers in half from the stem to the bottom and scoop out the seeds and stem. Pop them onto another baking tray with the rest of your rosemary then pour over the remaining oil.
- Season it all well with salt and pepper then pop it in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the courgette and pepper is charred and the tomatoes are bubbling.
- Slice your ciabatta in half lengthways and pop it on the same tray (if it will fit or you can use a new one!) for the last 3-5 minutes of cooking to toast until golden.
Make your baba ganoush
- Finely chop up your tarragon. In a mixing bowl, combine the crème fraîche and chopped tarragon with the zest and juice from the lemon.
- When your aubergine is cooked, discard any stalks of rosemary (the leaves are fine, though!) then give it all a good chop. Peel the roasted garlic cloves and carefully mash them into your chopping board with the side of your knife to make a paste.
- Chuck your mashed aubergine and garlic into the crème fraîche mixture. Mix it all around and break it up with the back of a fork until you have a relatively smooth paste with just a few lumps. Season it all with salt and pepper then begin to plate up.
Bring it all together
- Divide up your roasted veggies on your serving plates, then dollop on an even amount of baba ganoush next to them. Add a handful of watercress and serve your toasted ciabatta on the side!